Class Four: Nursery and Reception Class
Welcome to Class 4’s web page. We hope you will find the information presented interesting and useful.
Class Teacher: Miss Young
Early Years practitioners: Mrs Adams, Mrs Wilson.
Class 4 is a mix of Nursery and Reception children. The Nursery children go home at 11:45am or they can go to the lunch club until 12:45pm. Reception Class finishes at 2:55 pm.
We passionately follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum. Much of the teaching and learning is completed through Play Based and Child Initiated activities. Taking the children’s interests as a starting point, we plan a variety of activities designed to develop and extend children’s learning and understanding. Children’s learning is recorded in individual Learning Journals, which include photographs, observations, and samples of work, both independent and teacher led.
At Stapleford Primary School we acknowledge the expertise of parents in relation to their children and strive to work closely with them. For some children, Nursery or Reception will be their first experience of school and being away from home. With this in mind, our aim is to make this as pleasurable and stress free as possible, for both the children and the parents. We provide a warm, inviting environment for learning and activities are planned carefully to provide a positive context for learning and teaching, both indoors and outdoors. Staff are available to talk to parents at the start and end of the day.
Other information and reminders:
- PE is on Wednesday: please ensure your child has a clean, named PE kit in school.
- Please provide your child with outdoor shoes (old trainers, wellies) and a named water bottle.
- Reception and Nursery children will take home a home/school diary each Friday. This is for your child to record something they have enjoyed doing over the weekend, this could include photos, drawings, event tickets, etc. Please return this to school by Wednesday so the children can show their diaries and talk about what they have been doing.
- Children should bring their book bag to school every day in order to put in letters, drawings and anything they have made, etc. to take home. Please make sure you look in the book bag daily and empty it of work.
- This term, children will change their reading books on Monday’s and Friday’s – more frequently if required. It is important to read with your child daily and record this in their reading record.
- The children will receive weekly writing homework. Homework will be set on Friday and should be completed and returned by Wednesday.
- The children will visit the school library every Friday. They will choose a book to take home to read. Please ensure you return the book in time for your child to change it.
- Nursery children will take home a story pack every Friday. This will contain a story with props and/or activities for you to enjoy together at home. Please ensure that you return the complete pack by the following Wednesday.
Our topic for this half term is ‘Under the Sea’.
- The children will be learning about the sea as a habitat and will look at different sea creatures.
- We will be learning about rock pools and the type of living things you may find there.
- We will be talking about recycling and the impact this has on the sea and Earth as a whole.
- We will also be exploring floating and sinking.
Things you could do at home to consolidate your child’s learning:
- Talk to your child about what makes them special
- Talk about your family and look at family photos
- Encourage your child to talk about their feelings
- Reading with your child daily.
- Practise number recognition.
- Practise pen control and name writing.
To look at and describe their appearance